I ended college classes today with a neat demo in my feedback controls class. Professor Roberge showed us his pown control algorithm for an electric train set. He apparently has 100 trains at home that he builds tracks and railside scenes for. I bet his grandkids love him. Plus, he gets so into this stuff that he has a conductor's hat. (Pictures to follow when i get back home).
I was more sad to leave my course 6 lab in Bldg 34. LAing for 6.01 has been the singular best experience of my MIT career. Thanks to Professor White, Professor Abelson, and Professor Pack-Kaelbling for hiring me both Spring terms. They recognize that intelligence isn't enough to succeed at MIT, and they gave me the opportunity to really impact these younger students. I love afternoons in lab with everybody. And it's been awesome developing curriculum for this class as part of my research projects. Yay for C1! When I move to DC, I plan on getting involved with a FIRST League at a local high school. Or, perhaps an engineering program at a local college. I'm going to look for an opportunity to teach robotics and share my love for this stuff with the younger students. Eventually, I'd love to be a college instructer or work in education policy. Also, I just bought Unlocking the Clubhouse and so excited to read it.
Is it sad to say goodbye to college? Not really sad. I feel like my education is just beginning. Bachelors can only get you so far in life. My favorite professor told me that if I wanted to do PhD, I only should go to MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, or UIUC. Then he told me that if I wanted to do Masters work, I'm should only go to MIT or Berkeley. Finally, he told me that if I wanted to do research in comm systems and signal processing, then my only choice should be MIT. haha. Sure limits the options, doesn't it? I'm going to take a couple of years away from this place, then I will probably go back to school for my EE Masters. Alongside that Masters, I want to also get one in something related to STS (Science Technology and Society). Haha....is it any wonder that I think my Bachelors is just the beginning of this education world?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You're most definitely S-M-R-T smart! When I got out, I pretty much didn't think that I would end up doing anything school related. You're right though, you're just that kind of person that wants to do things like that. Funny thing that I've been realizing as I network with more people at work... The industry may have better teachers than you'd think. For example, just recently I was talking to one of our RF Heros (your soon to be title) at work about patent rights. In some recent published works from one of the Viterbis, they're using a SP technique very similar to one that we evaluated and "passed on", that's kind of what Harris does with patent law. We're not looking to go after anyone, just we like to be first to make sure if someone goes after us (blah blah blah). Anyways, I just find it really cool to be in company of people like this.
I'm just really glad that you realize (even better before graduating) that there's a lot out there to get involved with. You might find yourself getting involved in a lot of other stuff that you really had no intention of getting involved with. Those are sometimes the best thing to ever happen to you. Depending on how your work is set up, you might get co-ops, you can most definitely learn them stuff (and pick on them).
Dave - You are S-M-R-T too! I'm not surprised that the industry is filled with great teachers. Most of my AP teachers used to be in industry, and they were some of the best I've ever had. I think I wanna be like them one day. Orbital seems awesome - lots of old 50 somethings who want to pass on their knowledge to peppy young asian girls. haha, that doesn't sound sketchy, does it?
What is a SP technique? People keep telling me about this term, but I have no idea what it means.
I am excited about the "beyond work" actitivities I'm gonna get involved in! Maybe run a half marathon or go into policy work in DC. Maybe just travel around on weekends.
Post a Comment